Saturday, October 5, 2013

Tell Us Your Modest Story!

I enjoyed reading Michelle Duggar's blog post about "Why She Chose Modest". It brought back many memories for me as a young Christian believer and the MANY conversations I had (excuses I made) with the Lord about my clothing. It's similar to a salvation experience, trying to reason things in your mind and learning to discern the Holy Spirits voice in your head.

As a child my precious mother always dressed me and my sister in our best Sunday dresses for church services, so church and dresses were synonymous. As a teenage I stopped attending church and didn't attend again faithfully for 4 years. Because we were attending more regularly my Sunday best wasn't always appropriate for the church activities so I began having to buy more causal dresses. Of course, many of those weren't modest either, but when a baby starts walking he's not too good at it.

With a daily diet of God's Word the Holy Spirit began to speak to me about wearing pants and shorts; you know, like when you knew you weren't suppose to do something and did it anyway and your mother would mention it to you? I hated that guilty feeling! As my relationship with my Saviour grew the more I wanted to please Him which made it a pleasure to dress modestly. After all Christ did for me I wanted to live my life to please and honor him. That's when modesty becomes REAL not RULES.

Maybe the one of the reason's we are seeing more Christian ladies dressing immodestly is because we aren't telling our stories. Just as when you were saved, you have a story to tell of the God's kindness and patience, woooing you to Himself you also have a story of His working in your life conforming you to the image of Christ. Let's start telling our modest story.

You can tell your's right now in the comment box below! Then purpose to share it with some you know.

No comments: